NOAA Predicts Hyperactive Hurricane Season

Shutterstock

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) released its annual Atlantic hurricane forecast which predicts an above-average season for 2020; plus, today’s US forecast.

Above average hurricane season predicted by NOAA

The Atlantic hurricane season for 2020 already got an early start ahead of its official June 1 start date when Tropical Storm Arthur formed on May 16 off the Florida coast. It was the sixth consecutive year that the Atlantic hurricane season started early and now forecasters from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) say we are facing an above-average hurricane season, which extends to November 30. The NOAA gives a 60 percent chance for an above-average season and a 30 percent chance of an average season. The chance of a below-average season is only 10 percent.

For the 2020 Atlantic hurricane season, the NOAA released its annual forecast last Thursday. The agency is predicting between 13 and 19 named storms, 6 to 10 of which could become hurricanes. Three to six of those hurricanes could develop into major hurricanes (category 3-5 storms with winds of 111 miles per hour or higher).

The National Hurricane Center has determined what defines an average season by using data accumulated from 1966 to 2009. Including tropical storms, the average number of named systems is 11.3 per season. The average number of hurricanes is 6.2 per season and the average number of hurricanes at Category 3 or greater is 2.3.

Today’s US forecast

West: San Francisco 74, sunny; Los Angeles 84, sunny; Reno 86, sunny; Las Vegas 93, sunny; Salt Lake City 71, sunny; Denver 66, mostly sunny.

Northwest & Northern Rockies: Seattle 62, rain; Medford 86, mostly sunny; Boise 75, partly cloudy; Billings 71, partly cloudy; Minot 67, mostly cloudy; Rapid City 65, partly cloudy.

Southwest: Phoenix 98, sunny; Albuquerque 74, mostly sunny; El Paso 88, sunny; San Antonio 86, thunderstorms; Brownsville 95, partly cloudy.

Central & Upper Midwest: Lubbock 69, thunderstorms; Dallas 78, thunderstorms; Oklahoma City 71, thunderstorms; Kansas City 77, thunderstorms; Minneapolis 82, rain.

Ohio Valley: Chicago 85, partly cloudy; St. Louis 88, thunderstorms; Detroit 85, partly cloudy; Cincinnati 88, thunderstorms.

South: Houston 83, thunderstorms; New Orleans 86, thunderstorms; Memphis 89, thunderstorms; Atlanta 84, thunderstorms; Charlotte 74, thunderstorms; Jacksonville 82, rain; Tampa 78, rain; Miami 80, thunderstorms.

East: Norfolk 71, partly cloudy; Washington, D.C. 78, partly cloudy; Buffalo 78, thunderstorms; New York City 72, partly cloudy; Boston 64, partly cloudy; Caribou 76, mostly sunny.